A Phase I/II Multicenter Trial of HLA-Haploidentical PBSCT with PTCy for Aggressive Adult T Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma

Takashi Tanaka, Hirohisa Nakamae, Ayumu Ito, Shigeo Fuji, Asao Hirose, Tetsuya Eto, Hideho Henzan, Ken Takase, Satoshi Yamasaki, Junya Makiyama, Yukiyoshi Moriuchi, Ilseung Choi, Nobuaki Nakano, Nobuhiro Hiramoto, Koji Kato, Takahiko Sato, Yasushi Sawayama, Sung Won Kim, Yoshitaka Inoue, Yoshihiro InamotoTakahiro Fukuda

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

10 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Adult T cell leukemia/lymphoma (ATL) is a highly aggressive hematologic malignancy with a very poor prognosis, and most patients with ATL are elderly. Although post-transplantation cyclophosphamide (PTCy) has yielded promising results in various diseases, available data are limited regarding its outcomes in ATL. The aim of this study was to determine the safety and efficacy of reduced-intensity peripheral blood stem cell transplantation (PBSCT) from a human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-haploidentical donor using PTCy as graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) prophylaxis. This was a prospective, multicenter phase I/II study (UMIN000021783) conducted at 16 hospitals in Japan. The primary endpoint was the probability of survival with engraftment and without grade III/IV acute GVHD at day 60 after PBSCT. The expected probability of the primary endpoint was estimated to be 60%, and the threshold probability was set at 30% on the basis of previous studies. The conditioning regimen consisted of fludarabine (30 mg/m2/d from day –7 to –2), melphalan (40 mg/m2/d on days –3 and –2), and total body irradiation (2 Gy on day –1). GVHD prophylaxis consisted of tacrolimus starting at 0.02 mg/kg/d on day –1, PTCy (50 mg/kg/d on days +3 and +5), and mycophenolate mofetil 2000 mg/d starting on day +6. Eighteen ATL patients underwent PBSCT. The probability of patients who met the primary endpoint was 89% (95% confidence interval, 65% to 99%). The cumulative incidences of grade II to IV acute GVHD, III/IV acute GVHD, and moderate-to-severe chronic GVHD were 39%, 11%, and 17%, respectively. The probabilities of overall survival were 83% at 1 year and 73% at 2 years. The cumulative incidences of non-relapse mortality and disease progression at 1 year were 11% and 28%, respectively. HLA-haploidentical PBSCT with PTCy as GVHD prophylaxis is a valid option for patients with aggressive ATL.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)928.e1-928.e7
JournalTransplantation and Cellular Therapy
Volume27
Issue number11
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 11-2021
Externally publishedYes

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Immunology and Allergy
  • Molecular Medicine
  • Hematology
  • Cell Biology
  • Transplantation

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'A Phase I/II Multicenter Trial of HLA-Haploidentical PBSCT with PTCy for Aggressive Adult T Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this