A study of visualizing capability of the cystic duct by intrabiliary ultrasonography

Hironao Miyoshi, Saburo Nakazawa, Kenji Yamao, Junji Yoshino, Kazuo Inui, Hitoshi Yamachika, Naoto Kanemaki, Takao Wakabayashi, Kazumu Okushima, Teruhiko Iwase, Norihito Taki, Yuta Nakamura, Sayoko Mizutani, Toshiyuki Hattori, Hirohiko Yamase, Masaki Yoshida, Masao Fujimoto, Hitoshi Hidano, Masumi Watanabe

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

A series of 40 cases of biliary system disease were studied by intraductal ultrasonography. The transhepatic approach was adopted for 23 cases, and access was transpapillary in the remaining 17. Of the latter, 14 were post EST and 3 were non-EST. A normal appearing cystic duct, with a circular or almost circular pipe structure and lumen, was imaged in 23 cases. Of these, 9 (39.2%) demonstrated three layers and in the remaining 14 (60.8%) single layer was observed. In the 17 cases with cystic duct disease, 16 (94.1%) could be visualized, and the approach was found to be particularly useful for differentiating stones and tumors. Since 14 of the 17 cases exhibited negative ERCP findings for the gallbladder, this intraductal ultrasonography was concluded to be a very useful diagnostic method for such patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1501-1510
Number of pages10
JournalGASTROENTEROLOGICAL ENDOSCOPY
Volume38
Issue number7
Publication statusPublished - 01-07-1996

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Gastroenterology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'A study of visualizing capability of the cystic duct by intrabiliary ultrasonography'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Miyoshi, H., Nakazawa, S., Yamao, K., Yoshino, J., Inui, K., Yamachika, H., Kanemaki, N., Wakabayashi, T., Okushima, K., Iwase, T., Taki, N., Nakamura, Y., Mizutani, S., Hattori, T., Yamase, H., Yoshida, M., Fujimoto, M., Hidano, H., & Watanabe, M. (1996). A study of visualizing capability of the cystic duct by intrabiliary ultrasonography. GASTROENTEROLOGICAL ENDOSCOPY, 38(7), 1501-1510.