Collaborative operation with cardiovascular surgeons in general thoracic surgery

Koichi Fukumoto, Koji Kawaguchi, Takayuki Fukui, Shota Nakamura, Shuhei Hakiri, Naoki Ozeki, Taketo Kato, Hideki Oshima, Akihiko Usui, Kohei Yokoi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Objectives: The aim of this study was to investigate the feasibility and safety of our surgical experiences conducted in collaboration with cardiovascular surgeons at our institution. Methods: From May 2002 to December 2015, among 3595 general thoracic surgeries, 75 (2.1%) operations were carried out collaboratively with cardiovascular surgeons at Nagoya University Hospital. We investigated the surgical procedures, manipulated organs, morbidity and mortality, completeness of surgical resection, and prognosis of these 75 cases. Results: The study cohort consisted of 56 males and 19 females, ranging in age from 18 to 79 years (median 60 years). Fifty-eight patients had a malignant disease, and 17 had a benign disease. Out of 75 collaborative surgeries, 53 (71%) were scheduled cases (cardiovascular surgeons’ support was considered to be necessary preoperatively), and 22 (29%) were emergent cases (cardiovascular surgeons’ support was considered to be necessary intraoperatively). No 30- or 90-day mortality was observed. Respiratory failure, defined as the requirement of mechanical ventilation or non-invasive positive pressure ventilation for ≥5 days, was the most common morbidity (n = 14, 18%). Forty-three patients (78%) out of 55 with thoracic neoplasms achieved microscopic complete resection. The resection status of the remaining 12 (22%) was microscopic residual tumor. Conclusion: Collaborative surgeries with cardiovascular surgeons at our institution were feasible. High-quality surgeries with a good balance between safety and completeness of resection are important not only for treatment, but also in terms of education for general thoracic surgeons.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)575-580
Number of pages6
JournalGeneral Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Issue number10
Publication statusPublished - 01-10-2017
Externally publishedYes

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Surgery
  • Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Collaborative operation with cardiovascular surgeons in general thoracic surgery'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this