Comparison between a novel and conventional artificial pancreas for perioperative glycemic control using a closed-loop system

Tsutomu Namikawa, Masaya Munekage, Hiroyuki Kitagawa, Tomoaki Yatabe, Hiromichi Maeda, Yuuki Tsukamoto, Kenichi Hirano, Takuji Asano, Yoshihiko Kinoshita, Kazuhiro Hanazaki

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

9 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

This clinical study aimed to compare a novel and conventional artificial pancreas (AP) used in surgical patients for perioperative glycemic control, with respect to usability, blood glucose measurements, and glycemic control characteristics. From July in 2010 to March in 2015, 177 patients underwent perioperative glycemic control using a novel AP. Among them, 166 patients were eligible for inclusion in this study. Intensive insulin therapy (IIT) targeting a blood glucose range of 80–110 mg/dL was implemented in 82 patients (49 %), and the remaining 84 patients (51 %) received a less-intensive regime of insulin therapy. Data were collected prospectively and were reviewed or analyzed retrospectively. A comparison study of 324 patients undergoing IIT for glycemic control using a novel (n = 82) or conventional AP (n = 242) was conducted retrospectively. All patients had no hypoglycemia. The comparison study revealed no significant differences in perioperative mean blood glucose level, achievement rates for target blood glucose range, and variability in blood glucose level achieved with IIT between the novel AP and conventional AP groups. The usability, performance with respect to blood glucose measurement, and glycemic control characteristics of IIT were comparable between novel and conventional AP systems. However, the novel AP was easier to manipulate than the conventional AP due to its smaller size, lower weight, and shorter time for preparation. In the near future, this novel AP system might be accepted worldwide as a safe and useful device for use in perioperative glycemic control.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)84-90
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Artificial Organs
Volume20
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 01-03-2017
Externally publishedYes

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Medicine (miscellaneous)
  • Biomaterials
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Comparison between a novel and conventional artificial pancreas for perioperative glycemic control using a closed-loop system'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this