Early seizures after clipping of unruptured aneurysms of the anterior circulation: Analysis on consecutive 1,000 cases

Joji Inamasu, Shunsuke Tanoue, Takeya Watabe, Shuei Imizu, Takafumi Kaito, Keisuke Ito, Natsuki Hattori, Yuya Nishiyama, Takuro Hayashi, Yoko Kato, Yuichi Hirose

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Seizures occurring after clipping of unruptured cerebral aneurysms have rarely been documented in the literature. The objective of this retrospective study is to clarify whether the frequency of early seizures, i.e., seizures occurring within 14 days of surgery, is influenced by patient- or aneurysm-specific characteristics. Data on 1,000 consecutive patients who underwent clipping of unruptured anterior circulation aneurysms were reviewed. They consisted of 387 men and 613 women with mean age of 59.8 ± 9.7 years. Fifty-one patients (5.1 %) developed early seizures. Interestingly, the frequency was similar to that occurring after clipping of unruptured posterior circulation aneurysms (n = 20, 5.0 %). Multivariate regression analysis revealed that younger age was correlated with early seizures (odds ratio (OR) 0.902; 95 % confidence interval (CI) 0.891-0.989). However, other variables, including aneurysm size and operation length, were not correlated. Although patients with history of epilepsy exhibited relatively high frequency of early seizures, the difference was not statistically significant. The frequency was unaffected by location or multiplicity of aneurysms. Thirty-one patients (61 %) developed seizures within 24 h of clipping. Regarding seizure types, 34 (67 %) developed generalized seizures and the other 17 (33 %) experienced partial seizures. Patients with generalized seizures were significantly more likely to harbor an iatrogenic brain lesion than those with partial seizures (47 vs. 18 %; OR 4.148; 95 % CI 1.005-17.113). Among 40 patients with follow-up period >12 months, seizures were temporary without recurrence in 38 (95 %). Although early seizures are mostly benign, a small possibility of them becoming a permanent morbidity needs to be explained to patients undergoing elective clipping.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)447-453
Number of pages7
JournalNeurosurgical Review
Volume36
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 01-07-2013

Fingerprint

Aneurysm
Seizures
Odds Ratio
Confidence Intervals
Intracranial Aneurysm
Ambulatory Surgical Procedures
Epilepsy
Multivariate Analysis
Retrospective Studies
Regression Analysis
Morbidity
Recurrence

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Surgery
  • Clinical Neurology

Cite this

Inamasu, Joji ; Tanoue, Shunsuke ; Watabe, Takeya ; Imizu, Shuei ; Kaito, Takafumi ; Ito, Keisuke ; Hattori, Natsuki ; Nishiyama, Yuya ; Hayashi, Takuro ; Kato, Yoko ; Hirose, Yuichi. / Early seizures after clipping of unruptured aneurysms of the anterior circulation : Analysis on consecutive 1,000 cases. In: Neurosurgical Review. 2013 ; Vol. 36, No. 3. pp. 447-453.
@article{4df0f5a270414a788dd9d6cb583f1637,
title = "Early seizures after clipping of unruptured aneurysms of the anterior circulation: Analysis on consecutive 1,000 cases",
abstract = "Seizures occurring after clipping of unruptured cerebral aneurysms have rarely been documented in the literature. The objective of this retrospective study is to clarify whether the frequency of early seizures, i.e., seizures occurring within 14 days of surgery, is influenced by patient- or aneurysm-specific characteristics. Data on 1,000 consecutive patients who underwent clipping of unruptured anterior circulation aneurysms were reviewed. They consisted of 387 men and 613 women with mean age of 59.8 ± 9.7 years. Fifty-one patients (5.1 {\%}) developed early seizures. Interestingly, the frequency was similar to that occurring after clipping of unruptured posterior circulation aneurysms (n = 20, 5.0 {\%}). Multivariate regression analysis revealed that younger age was correlated with early seizures (odds ratio (OR) 0.902; 95 {\%} confidence interval (CI) 0.891-0.989). However, other variables, including aneurysm size and operation length, were not correlated. Although patients with history of epilepsy exhibited relatively high frequency of early seizures, the difference was not statistically significant. The frequency was unaffected by location or multiplicity of aneurysms. Thirty-one patients (61 {\%}) developed seizures within 24 h of clipping. Regarding seizure types, 34 (67 {\%}) developed generalized seizures and the other 17 (33 {\%}) experienced partial seizures. Patients with generalized seizures were significantly more likely to harbor an iatrogenic brain lesion than those with partial seizures (47 vs. 18 {\%}; OR 4.148; 95 {\%} CI 1.005-17.113). Among 40 patients with follow-up period >12 months, seizures were temporary without recurrence in 38 (95 {\%}). Although early seizures are mostly benign, a small possibility of them becoming a permanent morbidity needs to be explained to patients undergoing elective clipping.",
author = "Joji Inamasu and Shunsuke Tanoue and Takeya Watabe and Shuei Imizu and Takafumi Kaito and Keisuke Ito and Natsuki Hattori and Yuya Nishiyama and Takuro Hayashi and Yoko Kato and Yuichi Hirose",
year = "2013",
month = "7",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1007/s10143-013-0460-3",
language = "English",
volume = "36",
pages = "447--453",
journal = "Neurosurgical Review",
issn = "0344-5607",
publisher = "Springer Verlag",
number = "3",

}

Inamasu, J, Tanoue, S, Watabe, T, Imizu, S, Kaito, T, Ito, K, Hattori, N, Nishiyama, Y, Hayashi, T, Kato, Y & Hirose, Y 2013, 'Early seizures after clipping of unruptured aneurysms of the anterior circulation: Analysis on consecutive 1,000 cases', Neurosurgical Review, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 447-453. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10143-013-0460-3

Early seizures after clipping of unruptured aneurysms of the anterior circulation : Analysis on consecutive 1,000 cases. / Inamasu, Joji; Tanoue, Shunsuke; Watabe, Takeya; Imizu, Shuei; Kaito, Takafumi; Ito, Keisuke; Hattori, Natsuki; Nishiyama, Yuya; Hayashi, Takuro; Kato, Yoko; Hirose, Yuichi.

In: Neurosurgical Review, Vol. 36, No. 3, 01.07.2013, p. 447-453.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Early seizures after clipping of unruptured aneurysms of the anterior circulation

T2 - Analysis on consecutive 1,000 cases

AU - Inamasu, Joji

AU - Tanoue, Shunsuke

AU - Watabe, Takeya

AU - Imizu, Shuei

AU - Kaito, Takafumi

AU - Ito, Keisuke

AU - Hattori, Natsuki

AU - Nishiyama, Yuya

AU - Hayashi, Takuro

AU - Kato, Yoko

AU - Hirose, Yuichi

PY - 2013/7/1

Y1 - 2013/7/1

N2 - Seizures occurring after clipping of unruptured cerebral aneurysms have rarely been documented in the literature. The objective of this retrospective study is to clarify whether the frequency of early seizures, i.e., seizures occurring within 14 days of surgery, is influenced by patient- or aneurysm-specific characteristics. Data on 1,000 consecutive patients who underwent clipping of unruptured anterior circulation aneurysms were reviewed. They consisted of 387 men and 613 women with mean age of 59.8 ± 9.7 years. Fifty-one patients (5.1 %) developed early seizures. Interestingly, the frequency was similar to that occurring after clipping of unruptured posterior circulation aneurysms (n = 20, 5.0 %). Multivariate regression analysis revealed that younger age was correlated with early seizures (odds ratio (OR) 0.902; 95 % confidence interval (CI) 0.891-0.989). However, other variables, including aneurysm size and operation length, were not correlated. Although patients with history of epilepsy exhibited relatively high frequency of early seizures, the difference was not statistically significant. The frequency was unaffected by location or multiplicity of aneurysms. Thirty-one patients (61 %) developed seizures within 24 h of clipping. Regarding seizure types, 34 (67 %) developed generalized seizures and the other 17 (33 %) experienced partial seizures. Patients with generalized seizures were significantly more likely to harbor an iatrogenic brain lesion than those with partial seizures (47 vs. 18 %; OR 4.148; 95 % CI 1.005-17.113). Among 40 patients with follow-up period >12 months, seizures were temporary without recurrence in 38 (95 %). Although early seizures are mostly benign, a small possibility of them becoming a permanent morbidity needs to be explained to patients undergoing elective clipping.

AB - Seizures occurring after clipping of unruptured cerebral aneurysms have rarely been documented in the literature. The objective of this retrospective study is to clarify whether the frequency of early seizures, i.e., seizures occurring within 14 days of surgery, is influenced by patient- or aneurysm-specific characteristics. Data on 1,000 consecutive patients who underwent clipping of unruptured anterior circulation aneurysms were reviewed. They consisted of 387 men and 613 women with mean age of 59.8 ± 9.7 years. Fifty-one patients (5.1 %) developed early seizures. Interestingly, the frequency was similar to that occurring after clipping of unruptured posterior circulation aneurysms (n = 20, 5.0 %). Multivariate regression analysis revealed that younger age was correlated with early seizures (odds ratio (OR) 0.902; 95 % confidence interval (CI) 0.891-0.989). However, other variables, including aneurysm size and operation length, were not correlated. Although patients with history of epilepsy exhibited relatively high frequency of early seizures, the difference was not statistically significant. The frequency was unaffected by location or multiplicity of aneurysms. Thirty-one patients (61 %) developed seizures within 24 h of clipping. Regarding seizure types, 34 (67 %) developed generalized seizures and the other 17 (33 %) experienced partial seizures. Patients with generalized seizures were significantly more likely to harbor an iatrogenic brain lesion than those with partial seizures (47 vs. 18 %; OR 4.148; 95 % CI 1.005-17.113). Among 40 patients with follow-up period >12 months, seizures were temporary without recurrence in 38 (95 %). Although early seizures are mostly benign, a small possibility of them becoming a permanent morbidity needs to be explained to patients undergoing elective clipping.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84879196444&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84879196444&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s10143-013-0460-3

DO - 10.1007/s10143-013-0460-3

M3 - Article

C2 - 23564255

AN - SCOPUS:84879196444

VL - 36

SP - 447

EP - 453

JO - Neurosurgical Review

JF - Neurosurgical Review

SN - 0344-5607

IS - 3

ER -