Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) is a distinct clinicopathologic entity of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, characterized by a monotonous proliferation of small to medium-sized lymphocytes with co-expression of CD5 and CD20, an aggressive and incurable clinical course, and frequent t(11; 14)(q13;q32) translocation. We examined 151 cases of lymphoma with MCL morphology from a viewpoint of cyclin D1 overexpression, which is now easily detectable by immunohistochemistry. 128 cases (85%) showed positive nuclear staining for cyclin D1, while the remaining 23 (15%) were negative. Except for cyclin D1 immunohistochemistry, current diagnostic methods, including morphological and phenotypical examinations, could not make this distinction. Although both the cyclin D1-positive and -negative groups were characterized by male predominance, advanced stages of the disease, frequent extranodal involvement, and low CD23 reactivity, the cyclin D1-positive group showed a higher age distribution (P = .04), larger cell size (P = .02), higher mitotic index (P = .01), more frequent gastrointestinal involvement (P = .05), higher international prognostic index score (P = .05), and lower p27(KIP1) expression (P < .0001). Of particular interest is that cyclin D1-positive MCL showed significantly worse survival than cyclin D1-negative lymphoma (5-year survival: 30% versus 86%, P = .0002), which was confirmed by multivariate analysis to be independent of other risk factors. These data suggest that cyclin D1-positive and -negative groups may represent different entities and that the former closely fits the characteristics of classical, typical MCL. We therefore propose that cyclin D1-positivity should be included as one of the standard criteria for MCL, and that innovative therapies for this incurable disease should be explored on the basis of the new criteria. (C) 2000 by The American Society of Hematology.
|出版ステータス||Published - 01-04-2000|
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes